Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Clayborn Temple! Your time and energy is invaluable to us as we seek to serve our community well. Please select opportunities that you are interested in below or include a brief message indicating your interests and questions. One of our staff members will follow up with you soon!
Clayborn Reborn Internship Program
Clayborn Temple is a historic, sacred site in the heart of Downtown Memphis. The site, located immediately to the south of FedExForum, originally opened in 1893 as home to Second Presbyterian Church, and was sold to the African Methodist Episcopal denomination in 1949. Clayborn Temple became a pivotal gathering point for the Civil Rights Movement in Memphis and the Sanitation Workers’ Strike in 1968, which ultimately brought Dr. King to Memphis. Sadly, the building sat vacant for almost 20 years until it was reopened in late 2016 for a season of “previtalization.” Our group is seeking to restore the building as a mixed-use, social impact development that will house multiple entities and functions, including a church, non-profit offices and event and meeting space.
We are looking for enthusiastic interns who are driven, resourceful, and able to work independently. Potential job duties include:
- Developing and presenting research findings to project leaders
- Managing various marketing tasks to include social media engagement, a monthly newsletter, and managing email subscriptions
- Completing periodic office and administrative functions
- Creating presentations, spreadsheets, and documents
- Grant writing, reviewing, and editing
- Assisting with event planning, promotion, booking, and execution
- Creating invoices for vendors
- At least 18 years old
- An eagerness to learn and grow professionally
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Internet research
- Interest in Memphis history, Civil Rights history, community development, and social justice
- Provide own laptop and smartphone
- Experience with social media and marketing platforms, event planning, fundraising, and nonprofit administration helpful but not required
Offices are located in Clayborn Temple, 294 Hernando St. Memphis, TN 38126.
Interns will work on an unpaid, part-time basis (approximately 8-10 hours per week) with set but flexible office hours Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 pm. In addition to the job duties, interns will have the unique opportunity to sit in on meetings and learn from successful business and civil rights leaders and historians, as they seek to restore this iconic, historical site. Interns will develop knowledge and skills in various areas such as:
- Memphis and Civil Rights history
- Non-profit administration
- Marketing and community engagement
- Historical preservation
- Grant writing and fundraising.
In addition to the valuable experience gained during the internship, interns will receive a written recommendation from the leader of the development project at the completion of the internship. Interns will receive a staff pass for events held at Clayborn Temple. Interns will also attend regular staff outings and programming intended to enhance their work and learning experience.
To Apply or For More Information:
To apply, email [email protected]